Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Lovely Bones


I used to read a lot when I was younger. I would always carry a book around with me~ I'd read at restaurants, during dinner, waiting around in the car, and in the bathtub.
My favorites were Roald Dahl books (Especially Matilda),  the Sweet Valley High series, and the Baby Sitters Club series (I always played Stacy while Rita played Claudia)... much to my mother's chagrin~ she wanted me to read more classic books.

Once I got to High School... Reading took a back seat to playing.  Haha... Yes... I will admit that I was a horrible student growing up.  My teacher's always said I had "lots of potential".. but that potential was used gossiping about my latest crush, passing notes in class (and getting caught occasionally), and planning when we were going to sneak out to NYC again!
Thank God for Cliffs Notes and Spark Notes.


I only started reading for pleasure when I went to London my Junior year of college.  One of my three roommates was reading a Blue book with a picture of a charm bracelet on it.  My roommate said the book was really good, and I could read it when she finished.

I started reading the book... and I fell in love.  My love of reading had been reawakened!  Reading is awesome!


The Lovely Bones is a beautiful story about a young girl named Susie Salmon who was brutally raped and murdered (This happens in the beginning so I'm not really spoiling anything).  The rest of the novel is basically about Susie looking down (not specifically from Heaven or Purgatory) on her friends and family and seeing how her death has affected their lives.

It's been a really long time since I read this book... but it's my favorite.  When I see cheap copies of the book in the library or at thrift stores, I will buy them so I can lend them to my friends.
I've lent this book to many people and most of them have loved/really liked it.

The book is very graphic at certain parts~ The rape scenes are especially difficult to read because the author was raped in real life and it's so realistic
I received a call from Tracy at 2:30 AM screaming, "OMG!!! WTH is this?!?!? I'm so scared right now! I can't go to sleep! I'm not reading this! Why did you give this to me?!?!"
However, if you can get past the graphic details.... it is soooo well written.


The movie is coming out on January 15 (Sorry Doyle... Peter Jackson beat you to the punch... but you can make a better one someday!)
It doesn't look that great... but I'll still watch it.  If you plan on watching this movie, I highly recommend you read the book before.  If you find out the whole plot from the movie before reading the book... the experience won't be the same.

So... I hope you read this book and love it as much as I do.  It's changed my life.
And get off Facebook and read a REAL book!  ;)  
Books. It Does a Mind Good.





*~ Have a Beautiful Day! ~*

No comments:

Post a Comment