Monday, January 11, 2010

Chanel No. 5


"I always launch my collection on the 5th day of the 5th month, so the number 5 seems to bring me luck- therefore I will name it No 5"
- Coco Chanel


How can a smell become so legendary? Because it's Chanel.
Created by Coco Chanel, who had once said "Women perfume themselves only to hide bad smells", she went on to make fragrance history by creating Chanel No.5

She wanted to create a fragrance that smelled like a woman, and not a flower bouquet: "I want to give women an artificial perfume. Like a dress- Something that has been made. I don't want any Rose or Lily of the Valley.  I want a perfume that is a composition."

Originally launched in 1922, it ranks in the top in perfume sales, and it's believed that a bottle is sold somewhere in the world every 30 seconds.

Click here  to find out what notes the floral perfume contains


When asked what she wore at night, Marilyn Monroe answered, "Five drops of No. 5"

Chanel doesn't mess around with their advertising.  They hire amazing directors to create small but beautiful masterpieces:
Estella Warren/ Nicole Kidman - These beautiful commercials are my favorite. The Nicole Kidman one is in French. Click Here for the American version (directed by Baz Luhrman)
Audrey Tatou - This is a great commercial... but a little long. Click Here for the sweet and shorter version (directed by Jean Pierre Jeunet~ director of Amelie)
Catherine Deneuve - So gorgeous. "It's one of the pleasures of being a woman"
* "Marilyn Monroe " - Fun and Flirty

An article I recently read from Allure said that wearing Chanel No. 5 sends out the signal that you want to be kissed and you have a better chance of meeting your soulmate.
A British survey revealed that 1 in 10 women (out of 3,000) met their soulmate while wearing this perfume.
Kisses? Soulmates? Chanel?   It all sounds good to me.
So I now have my first bottle of Chanel No.5 and we shall see where it leads me (or I should say comes along with me).

Oh Chanel.... How I love you.


*~ Have a Beautiful Day! ~*


No comments:

Post a Comment