Sunday, January 3, 2010

Girl Power- My Favorite Female Artists


"I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels.
Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and Kick Ass."
-Maya Angelou


Here are some of my favorite female singers.  They're all great writers, singers, and have lots of personality. I love strong girls that have more to talk about than love and heartache. These fabulous ladies are quirky, have spunk, and aren't afraid to say whats on their mind.  You may know some of these lovely ladies... you may not.  I hope you enjoy their music as much as I do. They are the sh*t.



"Girls. You never know what they're going to think"
-Holden Caulfield
(Catcher in the Rye)



Kate Nash-  She is someone I discovered last year and have been playing her music non-stop ever since.  She's English/Irish (Love it!), plays piano and guitar, and has some of the cheekiest lyrics around! She rocks!
Foundations- "You say I must eat so many lemons, because I am so bitter"  One of my favorite songs.
Mouthwash- I can relate to this song. And not many people write about dental floss! =D
Merry Happy- Girl Meets Boy. Girl Loses Boy. She'll be fine!
We Get On- A whole mini story in a cute song. 
Pumpkin Soup- The girl just wants to snog!
Navy Taxi- A beautiful but melancholy song I can relate to.  ~ "I really hate always being late. And now the other train is late... Great..."   "It's your life and no one else's. Don't let someone put you in a box"

Regina Spektor-  I've seen her live a few times and she is fanatastic. She writes her own music, plays guitar and piano.  So cute. So quirky. So talented.
Fidelity- This is the first song I heard of hers. I was in love at first song.
Us- May be my favorite song of  hers. Definitely Top 3. Cool video.
That Time- Weird... but fun~ "Hey Remember that time when my favorite colors was pink and green?"
Apres Moi- Kind of dark, but it's a great song
The Call- A pretty song used in the Chronicles of Narnia movie
Eet- Good song.  "You're using your headphones to drown out your mind"
Laughing With- "No one laughs at God in a hospital. No one laughs at God in a war" "No one's laughing at God when they've lost all they've got and they don't know what for".  Something to think about...


Lily Allen- Her songs sound so happy and cute.. but the girl has a lot to say. So cheeky and naughty!
Smile- Sounds so happy and cheery. But listen to the lyrics
Alfie- Written about her pot-smoking brother. haha.
LDN- One of my favorite Lily Allen songs. "You might laugh, You might frown walkin 'round London Town". "Sun is in the Sky. Oh Why Oh Why would I want to be anywhere else?"
F*** You- Haha. I love this song. Said to be written about Bush or the British National Party... but I find it to be quite universal ;)
The Fear- If I were to make a music video, it would look like this!
Not Fair- Wow.. she wrote a song about a boy who's bad in bed.... sucks to be him~*
22- This song is depressing... but nice to address issues women in their 20s have    =(  "It's sad but it's true how society says her life is already over"



*~ Have a Beautiful Day! ~*

No comments:

Post a Comment