This was a great show~ I remember catching the first 2 episodes when it came out last year... but I was always busy and never got a chance to watch it (Thank God for DVR~ Yes, Linda... You've converted me). I liked the first 2 episodes... but after watching it this weekend, I fell in love with the show and am so so sad that NBC canceled the show.
Lipstick Jungle is based on a Candace Bushnell (of Sex and the City fame) novel. It's a show that has similar characteristics to Sex and the City, but is very different.
Like Sex and the City, the fashion and makeup is fabulous. The dialogue is quick and witty. The female characters are strong and successful women who have very busy love live lives.....(VERY busy!). They're both based in NYC. Like Sex and the City, the heart of the show is about their friendship.
While Sex and the City is more of a comedy with drama mixed in, Lipstick Jungle is more of a dramedy.
The show stars Brooke Shields as Wendy Healy, a high-powered President of a Production company and mother of two. Lindsay Price plays Victory Ford, a Fashion Designer who goes from struggling to successful. Kim Raver is Nico Riley, the successful Editor-in-Chief of Bonfire magazine.
My favorite character is Victory Ford because Lindsay Price was one of the few Asian girls I saw on t.v. growing up, I feel she's the most like me, and she is absolutely glowing on the show (both acting and looks wise).
Here are the characters signature looks and what kind of products you can use to achieve their best features.
Wendy Healy- Wendy has a natural, pretty, and professional look. Her look usually consists of clean skin, Brown eyeshadows, and a lipstick that ranges from Neutral to Neutral with Red/Brown tones.
* Wendy wears very basic colors, but I noticed her lips the most. Her look is the easiest one to achieve. Find a lip color that you like and swipe it on- High Powered Execs don't have lots of time!
* For a more precise and defined look, you can use a Lip Liner and fill in lipstick with a Lip Brush. I prefer to use more neutral lip liners so it looks more natural, but if you use a darker lip liner, make sure the color of the lipstick and liner is very similar.
* Make sure you're lips are moisturized ( I always put on Lip Balm/Lip Conditioner before lipstick).
* Wendy usually has a matte look, but you can add a gloss (M.A.C. Lipglass) on top to really make your lips pop.
* I would use a cream or gel blush to give the cheeks color with a dewy glow (Tarte Cheek Stain or Josie Maran Cream Blush).
* Victory always has the best highlights around her face. You can use a shimmer powder, highlighting cream, or anything that has shimmer in it to achieve this look (I usually use the M.A.C. Natural Flare, Make Up For Ever Diamond Creme, and lately the Prescriptives Liquid Powder). You can even use a shimmer eyeshadow.
* Take the product and brush or blend on the top of your cheekbone (on an angle below your eyes) and a dab on your nose/between your eyes and right on top of your eyebrows.
[ Tip: If you're not sure how to find the top of your cheekbone, Smile and put on to the highest point where your cheeks come out (Does this make any sense?) ]
* Finish with a dab of a moisturizer, a balm (Decleor being my favorite), or oil (Josie Maran Argan Oil) pressed into the cheeks.
Nico Reilly- Nico is absolutely gorgeous. She has a very clean and natural look. Her skin is flawless and her eyes and lips are usually in various neutral shades. I always notice how her skin looks so great (especially when she's getting hot and heavy with Kirby, her hot young boy toy...which is very often...they're like energizer bunnies...)
* To achieve her flawless skin, you can use a Tinted Moisturizer (Josie Maran being my choice) and little concealer.
* For skin that is photo-shoot ready, I would use an H.D. foundation (Make Up For Ever HD is my fav.)
* Set with a Loose Powder (Make Up For Ever H.D.) for a more natural look, or a Pressed Powder for more of a matte look/oilier skin.
* For the glow that Nico gets from Kirby, use a peach blush (I usually use Josie Maran Cream Blush in Sunset at work) or a stain (Benefit Benetint) for a beautiful flushed glow.
So although this wonderful show was added to the great shows that were cancelled graveyard, you can still look as fabulous as the ladies did! May you have as much fun, friendship, and friskiness (Oh Nico, You naughty girl!) as the ladies of Lipstick Jungle did!
*~ Have a Beautiful Day! ~*