Friday, December 11, 2009

Is Your Glass Half Full or Half Empty?


"Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day"

My friend Golda recently said to me, "U make me smile!!! Ur so happy and cheerful all the time".   It was nice to hear this, but it made me think.  Yes, generally I am a happy and cheerful person... but I have my days when I want to be the biggest b*&%$ and tell off the rude and obnoxious people I encounter... But I try to take a step back and think... is it really worth it?  Most of the time it's not.  But sometimes, people really are the worst... and they should know it!


It's not easy trying to look at the bright side of things.  I'm a very extreme person in general... Black/White~ There is no gray.  I like to call myself an Optimistic Pessimist.  It's really easy for me to see the negative in things, people, situations (unfortunately)... however... I choose not to focus on the negative, and try to find a positive. 

I've been on both sides of the fence.  Only seeing the good (and basically living in my own little world where everything is bright, shiny, and beautiful) and pretending the bad is not there.  It's not very realistic, and it can hurt you in the end... because when life comes crashing down on you and everything suddenly seems a mess... you probably won't be prepared to deal with it.

I've also been on the other side... where I could only see the negative in everything and life was bleak, dark, and miserable.  It's really easy to get to this point... but it's a horrible way to live.
In the past few years, I've learned to find more of a balance.  Yes, it's still really easy to be a hater and be pissed off at the world... but in the end... you only end up hurting yourself.

I believe that what you project, you get back.  I believe in karma. I believe in being a good person and doing the right thing.  I believe that by doing good, you receive good (which also applies for the negative).
If you are constantly negative... yes... your life will suck! Try to see the good... Don't expect anything, ... and life just may surprise you. 


It's really easy to make your day.. and someone else's a little bit better.  Help someone pick something up.  Hold the door open. Smile! Have a conversation with someone you don't know (Some of the best conversations I've had are with strangers).  Hold the elevator.  Let someone cut in front of you in the car. Tell someone if their fly is open  ;)

I remember one day while walking in the city with Crystal, a man passing by smiled at us and said, "Hello! How are you today?" It was really simple... but it made me feel good.  "I'm gonna try that to the next person that walks by" I told Crystal.  And lo and behold, another man was walking down the street and I did the same.  He looked surprised, but replied, "I'm good. Thanks!" and left smiling.
Happiness is contagious. And Negativity is a virus.  What are you going to spread?

I always hated the idea of the cup being half empty or half full.  I like to think that's it's just there.  It's what you do with it that counts:  Are you going to enjoy it? Are you going to let it sit there and go to waste?  Are you going to watch it rot? Are you going to fill it up?  Life is what you make of it.... but that's just my two cents~*

I love this commercial!



*~ Have a Beautiful Day! ~*

No comments:

Post a Comment