Thursday, December 24, 2009

*.~*.~*.~* It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year *~.*~.*~.*


"Christmas waves a magic wand over this world,
and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful"
-Norman Vincent Peale


Christmas came so quickly this year! This year has been quite the whirlwind and I've definitely enjoyed and made the most out of 2009, but now that Christmas Eve is here, I'm wondering how we got here so fast.
It seems like it was just Halloween the other day when they started getting the Christmas Season ready (You Corporate People need to cut that out! Christmas season starts after Thanksgiving!!! Stop trying to push it earlier or soon we'll be celebrating Christmas in August!)




 "It is Christmas in the heart that puts Christmas in the air"
-W.T. Ellis

* Many people seem to forget what the Holidays are about.  Even if you don't celebrate or believe in anything, I hope you are able to have the Spirit of Christmas with you.
It's not about the Decorations. It's not about the Gifts.  It's not about the Parties (although I do love me a good party!)
* To me, Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Jesus and what he stood for. Jesus did what he had to do, whether he liked it or not. He was accepting of all people.  He was forgiving of all sins. He put others before himself. He wanted to help those that had nothing else.  Jesus stood for love.  How can you not admire that?
* During the Holiday Season (and hopefully year round... but especially during the Holidays), I hope you can put someone else before you.  Be nicer to the cashier that is taking forever.  Refrain from honking at the slowpoke in front of you. Take a deep breath when you're waiting on line for 20 minutes and about to scream (Haha... Can you tell I have no patience?). Bite your tongue when that rude person crashes into you without a look back. Help that stranger out. Give an encouraging word to the harried looking person behind the counter. Smile at the miserable person looking at you like you're crazy (or does that just happen to me?)



 When I think of my Christmases growing up, there are lots of great memories I have:
* Decorating the Christmas tree (and keeping it up until February. haha.. I loved having a Christmas tree! So festive!) 
* Holiday shopping at H.P. Elementary School and O.L.V!  My dad would give me some money to buy my mother something nice (and of course a little something for myself, too!)
* Christmas Songs- I loved hearing and singing them growing up~ Now, I kinda want to scream when I hear "Do They Know It's Christmas" and "Feliz Navidad"
* Last day of school before Vacation- The anticipation... The Christmas treats!  I especially loved when the class mothers would bring in Latkes with Apple Sauce!!! And you can't forget the Candy Cane dipped into Hot Chocolate so it turns sharp (and I poke the person next to me!  So naughty, Irene!)
* Getting Christmas presents from Rita's family marked "to iRENE. Love Santa" (Yes. "Santa" always wrote the "i" in lower case and the rest in capitals... I loved it!)
* Presents under the tree. I never had the patience to wait until Christmas (Surprise, Surprise), so I would always open up a few or rip holes so I could see what I would get!
* Grandpa Gerry's Christmas presents (Grandpa Gerry was my Italian Grandpa.  He was my dad's landlord).  My favorites from him was a Barbie Ice Cream Shop set and a Huge Tin of Bacio chocolates!
* Christmases at my Aunt's house in Long Island where I got to see my favorite cousin who was away at college.  Best part was getting showered with gifts (I was the baby~*  So spoiled... I loved it!)

Here are the Holiday Movies I love that remind me of being young and get me into the Holiday Spirit!
Edward Scissorhands- I looooooooooove this movie.  It was so amazing watching it as a child~ Tim Burton is a genius. Such a beautiful and amazing movie
Elf- I don't usually like Will Ferrell movies, but I LOVE this movie. It's hilarious!
"First I went through the seven levels of the Candy Cane Forest. Then I went past the sea of Twirly Swirly Gumdrops. And after that, I walked through the Lincoln Tunnel!"
How the Grinch Stole Christmas-  This movie is sooo good! Jim Carrey is the perfect grinch. And how can you not love Cindy Lou Who (Who grows up to be Jenny in "Gossip Girl!")

It's a Wonderful Life- I actually didn't watch this movie 'til I was much older... but it's a classic for a reason! A great movie to watch if you've got the Holiday Blues
A Christmas Story- They play this on t.v. every year.  The shopping mall santa always scared me!
"You'll shoot your eye out~~~!"
Home Alone- I loved watching this as kid!    
"Keep the change, ya filthy animal!"
The Family Man-  I haven't seen this in a while, but it's a great feel-good movie.  And I worked a summer at the school the kids go to! (PCD in Closter)   =)

May you all have a wonderful Holiday Season~*
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"

And for all you scrooges out there! BAH HUMBUG to you, too!  ;)


"Oh look, yet another Christmas TV special!  How touching to have the meaning of Christmas brought to us by cola, fast food, and beer.... Who'd have ever guessed that product consumption, popular entertainment, and spirituality would mix so harmoniously?"  
-Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes


*~ Have a Beautiful Day! ~*

No comments:

Post a Comment