Sunday, November 22, 2009

Friendship

"There's the people you've known forever. Who like...know you...in this way, that other people can't. Because they've seen you change; they've let you change"  
-My So-Called Life

I always say that I'm very lucky and have very good people in my life.  For all the talking that I do... I actually don't say "I Love You"  to people very much... And when people say "I Love You" to me... I like to respond with a smile and a  genuine "Thank You!"  ;)  So... even though I don't say it often, my friends know that I love them. This post is dedicated to them.

If you are a close friend of mine... you have a lot on your plate. I will be the first one to tell you that I'm not an easy person to have in your life... I come with a lot of baggage:
* I can be high maintenance and a little OCD about having things "Just Right" and "Perfect"
* I'm really clumsy, spill things, and can leave a mess wherever I go.
* I like getting things my way... and have a hard time hearing "No"
* I make myself at home wherever I am (which means I schlep all my stuff with me to my friends' apt. They make sure that it's gone when I leave... I've taken to hiding things when I have to)
* I somehow always get into the craziest situations... and if you're with me at the time...  you get into them too
* I am a crazy mess when I get frazzled.. My friends have gotten very good at calming me down (or ignoring me when there is no calming down)
* I'm like an 80 year old man... I repeat the same stories over and over...and I have a really bad memory, so I ask the same questions over and over
* I'm kind of like a hurricane.  I can cause chaos wherever I go~ and my friends are pretty low-key so their blood pressure can get really high when we're together
* I do a lot of things without thinking.... which can bring about negative consequences

My friends have been with me through thick and thin.  Most of my friends are friends I've known all my life (I don't know how they survived).
*They've been there through my snotty spoiled brat phase and my "It's my way or no way" stage (yes.. they are different)
* They've fed me ( I never have to worry about eating), clothed me (I am their personal salvation army), and sheltered me (Crystal/Tracy and London Susan on Upper West Side and Viv's apartment in Spanish Harlem)
* They've supported me with whatever I chose to do at the time~ from work (retail, teacher, cooking teacher, hostessing, secretary, and especially makeup artist!), where I go- London, Europe, Africa... to all the craziness that is my life
* They've lent an ear when I have to rant... and just sat with me when I can't bring myself to talk
* They risk their lives by riding in my car... (and when I'm in a rush... it CAN be a definite risk...)
* They've taken care of me when I drank past my limit (which has only happened a handful of times)  ;)
* They give me the insight that I can't see on my own, the advice I need to hear, and the encouragement ("Go For It") or discouragement ("No iRene.  That's crazy") that I need
* They've helped me through the death of my mother, my break up of a 6 year relationship, the remodeling of our house and apartment, 2 bouts of serious depression, and career changes


Most importantly...they accept me for who I am.
Thank You for being my friend and taking this journey with me.


To all the people I am lucky enough to call a friend~ Here is a song dedicated to you~*

To the girls that have been with me through all the twists and turns of life:
Ang- We may be continents apart, but you'll always be near and dear to my heart
Crystal- The older sister I never had~ You're always watching out for me. 
Grace- We may fight like no other (although we HAVE gotten better over the years), but it's just because we're that close!
Susan-My wife. My BF. My Sister
Tracy- Though time spent may not be long, my love for you is always strong.
Viv- From our days bike riding around H.P, you've been there through it all.

You girls know me better than I know myself.  Without you, my life is incomplete ~*



A friend is someone to turn to when our spirits need a lift.
A friend is someone we treasure, for our friendship is a gift.
A friend is someone who fills our lives with beauty, joy, and grace.
And make the world we live in, a better and happier place.



"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return".
- Eden Ahbez

"Never shall I forget the days I spent with you. Continue to be my friend, as you will always find me yours."
- Ludwig van Beethoven 

“If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.”
- Winnie the Pooh

"Even if we never talk again after tonight, please remember that I am forever changed by who you are and what you meant to me."  
- Chasing Amy






No comments:

Post a Comment