Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cleanliness is Fabulousness

Those of you that know me know I love to clean. Ironic because I am one of the messiest people you may meet.  I actually have a friend that will call me when she watches shows like "Hoarders" and other specials of people that are out of control ("Irene, I just saw this show and I thought of you.  You have to watch it so you don't become like them!")


Anyway, I may be messy... but I am NOT dirty.  I guess in everything, I like to make something better than it is (Hello.. MAKEOVER)  When I'm finished cleaning, I feel accomplished.  I like to see a sparkling sink that had been filthy 20 minutes ago.  Mold, Dust, Mildew BEGONE!  I especially love cleaning my guy friends' apartments~ they really are so much dirtier than girls.... which is why I have a greater sense of accomplishment when I'm finished.

There have been many a dirty bathrooms and kitchens I have cleaned in my life time.  I believe that over the years, I have come up with a good arsenal of cleaning products to get your house in spic and span order.  Here is my list:

1. Oreck Vacuum- I bought one a few years ago for hundreds of dollars... but it's sooo worth it.  I bought one of the XL ones that comes with a 10 year warranty.  If you break it, they'll fix it.  It's light. It gets the job done. It's great. They come in all different price ranges... and they're awesome. I think it's worth the investment to buy a good vacuum.

2. Scotch-Brite Dobie Cleaning Pad- This is my FAVORITE cleaning tool.  It is a yellow sponge encased in white mesh plastic netting.  It is FABULOUS at getting rid of stuck on items (Although make sure you soak your dirty dishes first!). It scours without scratching!  You know that gross moldy/watery mess thats left when you lift up your cup by the bathroom sink? GONE!  They come in sets of 2 or 3, are cheap, and last for a VERY long time.  BUY THESE SPONGES!

3. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser-  This stuff is amazing.  You don't use it on everything, but it gets rid of all kinds of nastiness that you never thought would disappear.  It really is magic!  I especially like to use this on chrome fixtures (sinks, shower) and it does a really good job of getting the yuckiness off the glass shower doors.  They don't last as long as I would like (although I use the original... I'm sure the newer ones are better), but you only need these for problem areas so they can last long.

4.  Disinfecting Wipes- I use both the Clorox (Fresh Scent) and Lysol (Spring Waterfall Scent)  They are the best.  Dirty toilet seat? Swipe.  Spilled Chicken liquids (YUCK)? Wipe. Broken Bright Blue Eyeshadow all over your bathroom floor?  It cleans it ALL!  I buy them by the bulk since you get a better deal and you'll always be able to use these.  I especially recommend these if you have children.  You need to disinfect, but you don't want to be spraying around chemicals everywhere....  As a former pre-school teacher... these babies are excellent germ killers

5.  Purex Laundry Detergent- I have been using Purex for years.  It's cheap, has great scents, and gets the job done.  Sometimes I mix it up with Tide and I usually put in some Borax or Oxy Clean... but it's my laundry staple.  And I only put in half a capful

***TIP*** Recently... I found that I had 2 hideously huge brown stains on the sleeve of my WHITE VERSACE coat!!! AGHHHHH!!!!  I washed it... it didn't go away.  I bleached it.... still there.  I tried soaking it in my dad's denture cleanser STAIN AWAY (so sad he has false teeth....) and OMG! It's not gone... but it's a hell of a lot lighter!!! Now it's only2 small beige stains   =)  Now I wouldn't recommend this to everyone because I don't want to be blamed for ruined clothing... but if you have something that is beyond repair and you've got nothing to lose... try it.

6. Club Soda- I'd HEARD about this tip for getting spills out since forever, but I don't drink Club Soda so I never got to experience the magic that is Club Soda until recently.  I am visiting little baby Mason with Susan.  Moona is cooking spaghetti with red meat sauce. I place the plate on the table.  Susan (WHO WAS SUPPOSED TO BE WATCHING MASON!) suddenly screams out "OH MY GOD!"   I turn around to see a huge plate of red spaghetti all over Moona's light gray carpet.  I kind of had a mini panic/heart attack inside but tried to hide it.  "DO YOU HAVE CLUB SODA?!?!" I scream in desperation.  I have never been so intent on getting a stain out.  After pouring 3 cans of club soda... Amazingly... there is no stain to be seen.  A cleaning Miracle!

7.  Net Cleaner- Ancient Korean Secret. We Asians come up with lots of nifty things.. this has to be one of the best.  Instead of cleaning with a gross bacteria magnet that is the sponge, many koreans use a medium sized netting that is soooo much better than a sponge.  It is more sanitary (since it dries faster), You don't need a lot of dishwashing liquid to make lots of bubbles, and it lasts a long time.  I stock up on these when I go to the Korean supermarket.  If you can find these at an Asian grocery store around you, I highly suggest you pick one up.  Oh... and most Asians don't use their dishwashers as more than a drying rack~ we do it by hand.  Confuses the heck out of my American friends.. but you should try it.  Do you know how much water is wasted in the dishwasher?!?!


So.... I hope I have introduced you to some new products that will make your house spic and span. And if not... Oh well... just tell yourself this:

"If the shelves are dusty and the pots don't shine, it's because I have better things to do with my time"

2 comments:

  1. actually the dishwasher is more environmentally friendly... it uses less water than most people do handwashing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure? How's that possible? I don't use that much water when doing dishes (since I turn off the water when I'm soaping) and think how much energy you're using to run the dishwasher, use the water, and dry. Isn't a full cycle 30 min to an hour? Either way, Thanks for reading my blog!!!

    ReplyDelete