Sunday, March 6, 2011

Every Day Is Earth Day: Week 1

I recently bought an "Every Day Is Earth Day 2011 Daily Boxed Calendar" 
I already have schedules and calendars all over my room, but I thought it had good advice so I bought it (Plus it was on sale and you know I'm a sucker for a good deal!)


As a modern hippie, I'm always looking for ways to go green and spread the word.
Hopefully, you'll pick up some new tips that will become a lifelong habit
(Hey, I didn't always turn off all the lights, unplug unused appliances, and wash laundry in cold water either!)

Come on, people.  Little things make a big difference! 
(Over 55 inches of snow in NYC is NOT NORMAL!)
Reduce. Reuse. Recycle!

1/1-2/11:   
New Year's Resolution: 
Use it up. Wear it out. Make do. Do without.

1/3/11:   
Don't de-ice with salt:
No chemical de-icing material is good for plants or the soil.  Instead, spread sand, gravel, or ash to gain some traction.  If you must de-ice do so in moderation.
Check out a product called Combo Therm, available at hardware stores, that forms a bring beneath the snow, discouraging ice from forming.  Apply it before the snow falls and you'll use less de-icer.

1/4/11:   
Mantra for a new year: 
Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. Rethink.

1/5/11:   
Buy "green" printer paper: 
Look for unbleached recycled paper with the highest post-consumer waste content you can find.

1/6/11:   
Green your takeout:  
Stryofoam, flexible plastic, and anything noncompostable is NOT green.  Look for petroleum-free plastic cups made from corn, tough clamshells made from recycled materials, and cardboard made from renewable resources, delivered by carbon neutral companies.

1/7/11:   
Designate meatless Fridays:  
Make this part of a program to eat less meat.  Compared to meat eaters, vegetarians have lower rates of diabetes, heart disease, certain cancers, and obesity.

1/8-9/11:   
Walk softly:
The old myth of unlimited growth alienates humans from nature.  To live sustainably we must respect nature and live by its rules.  We must walk softly, leaving as small a footprint as possible.

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more.
- Lord Byron



*~ Have a Beautiful Day! ~*

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I just discovered your blog and I am loving it!! I am also Korean-American, just graduated from Rutgers, and I live in Fort Lee. I also went to Africa on a service trip 2 years ago (Tanzania). What a coincidink! Lol I love all things beauty/makeup related so your blog definitely helps and I literally just started getting into the au naturale products (bought a few things from Whole Foods today! Love!) and now I’m interested in the Dr. Bronner soaps thanks to you! Lol If you want to find me on facebook I’m under Stacey Young Cha and it would be awesome to meet up with a beauty/makeup aficionado who lives near me, especially a MUA! Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete