Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Polite Picture Posting: Say No to Posting a Bad Photo


When I log into my email and see the words, "________  tagged a photo of you on Facebook", my heart rate shoots up and I start feeling nervous.
I anxiously log into my facebook account to see what picture awaits me.

Q: Why do I have such a strong reaction to a simple picture?
A: Susan Yi and Taylor Schneider
Yes.  Two of my closest friends in the whole wide world have made me a paranoid Nervous Nelly when it comes to online pictures.

I didn't always used to be this way.  I used to have a feeling of happy curiosity and eagerness to see what pictures awaited me when I was tagged in a photo.  Or at the very least, I didn't care....
NOW, I carry a feeling of dread with me when I go to see what picture I've been tagged in.

I don't know why two of my best friends (and other people that do this) will post up pictures that are not flattering of other people.
Now I realize that I am a very picky person when it comes to taking pictures~ I only like taking side/profile pictures from the left side of my face (and my friends always make fun of me for it).
However, I'm talking about pictures where someone's eyes are closed, they're talking, or they just don't look good.

At first, I thought maybe I was just being too anal and self-conscious about myself.
But then I saw that they would post up bad pictures of our other friends!
Here's an example of a picture that I de-tagged myself from (and this one isn't so bad!):

They worked together on this one: Taylor posted this picture and Susan used it as her profile picture. 
Yes~ Christine, Grace, Susan, and Taylor look very nice. But I'm talking!!!
Taylor didn't have to post this pic and Susan could have used the good pic, but they both chose to put up the bad one.



I recently sent Taylor an article I read from Allure.com
So here is something to think about:

Is It OK to Tweet Bad Pictures of Other People?

I always feel a pang of sympathy when I see magazine stories devoted to "stars without makeup." We all want to be seen with our best face forward, and usually that involves at least a little mascara. My next thought is usually "didn't they know there were going to be paparazzi hanging out in the parking lot of In-N-Out Burger?" That's the price of fame, after all. But then I saw this picture of Katy Perry that her husband, Russell Brand, tweeted just before New Year's. (I'm guessing they had a little talk, because he deleted the photo soon after.) I suppose that's the price of being married to Russell Brand, but I really can't fault a woman for going to bed without makeup. (In fact, a derm of two would probably scold her for sleeping in a full face of the stuff.)

I think we've all heard by now that you shouldn't post unflattering pictures of friends and loved ones on the internet—even if it happens to be the best picture ever taken of you. That said: Do you do it anyway? Are you ok with posting unflattering pictures of others—especially if it makes you look more attractive?


Obviously, I think that unflattering pictures shouldn't be posted online, but what are your thoughts?
Personally, I think if one person doesn't look good in the picture, it basically ruins the picture.
Unless it's to laugh at, why would you want a picture where someone's eyes are closed, someone's talking, or someone looks weird?
And maybe you don't think it's a bad picture, but if someone tells you they hate the picture of themself, isn't it common courtesy to take it down for them?!?

My advice: Don't post bad pictures of other people. It's mean and bad karma! (haha)
ESPECIALLY if you don't post up bad pictures of yourself!


And to Susan and Taylor, you b*tches better stop posting bad pictures of me because I have a TOOOON of you guys just waiting to be uploaded at the click of a button (and you know you don't want to be on my bad side!)     ;)

 
*~ Have a Beautiful Day! ~*
 


No comments:

Post a Comment